Saturday, September 15, 2012

The devil's willy & back to Brum

The picture of the devil's penis somehow got removed from my last post, so here it is now! Of course the devil's penis was rumoured to be cold & I'm sure this one would be. The witch hunters would have said that as a witch I should know what it is like, & I would reply that while I've experienced others, you have to be a Christian to believe in the devil!
It is unfortunate that on the rail line back from Coventry/Birmingham International you see all the worst side of Birmingham. That side is known as eastside and it is planned to create a huge park in the ruins of Birmingham's industrial past. The building is Birmingham's original railway station, for which a use has never been found, except for the land around it which is used by skater boys & graffiti artists!
Getting off the train & there was the usual mix of religions on New Street. The picture is of the Hare Krishnas (although I did think Van Gogh was dead). Next to them was a much quieter group of Moslems with their table of literature. There was no actual conflict going on but both groups looked uncomfortable. The Moslems are often higher up New Street, but there they come across the fundamentalist Christians & the Scientologists.
Another contrast in the cathedral churchyard: it is the Saturday meeting place of all the local goths & emos, who make me feel terribly old. Amongst them were some Christians doing healing. I suppose ther's nothing actual wrong with Christians being in the churchyard on a Saturday afternoon, they just look very incongruous with all the other people!
This is what I love about city living: while it occasionally erupts into conflict, there is a mixture of people which automatically creates an accustomed-ness to the other. The Black Country village I grew up in was terribly insular. There were seriously people who thought that relatives who had moved to the next village had moved far away, I was the only gay in the village (actually there were others but it wasn't something you could talk about) & I couldn't wait to get out.
There were pupils at my school who had never met a Protestant. It is hard to believe there are people who think they have never met a homosexual. There are people who think their children would be somehow at risk from homosexuals. There are people who would genuinely believe that as a witch & a queer, I am doomed to hell, possessed by the devil, whatever.
The answer to this? The sovereignty of the individual, which must always be given priority over any 'community'. Crowley thought that if we truly do our will this will not conflict with that of another, & so I would say that a true individual sovereignty will not conflict with another person's. This almost utopian vision may seem too far-fetched in a world of what Christians call 'sin'. I would even reframe sin as the infringement on another's sovereignty. Yes, it's true: I am a lot of people's worst nightmare, I am an abomination to the Lord & intend to continue so, because this is the furrow I have been put on this earth to plough. The world may not be greatly changed by my life, but as a part of the whole I am a force of nature which like fire can change everything in its path.
------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated before publication