Saturday, September 22, 2012

Witchcraft is good for you

It has been in the news this week that there is new evidence that people's beliefs concerning their level of influence over their health have a major impact on their actual health.
This is not actually news to anyone involved in health care, or indeed in any field involving any aspect of human behaviour!
There is a huge difference between saying 'We've always been big in my family & died of heart disease,' and saying, 'I know I am overweight, I know that puts me at risk of an early death which I don't want so I will do something to change it.'
The difference here, of course, is the sense of agency. If we feel a sense of agency over our lives, rather than just being the passive recipients of whatever comes our way, we are in a position to make changes which can have far-reaching consequences in our lives.
This sense of agency is such a witch 'thing' that it should really require no further elaboration apart from to repeat the magical motto of 'know thyself': to what areas of my life do I need to apply this sense of agency?
While the life of the witch is filled with ecstasy and much peace, it can never be said to be a life where we get comfortable of rest on our laurels for long!
------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated before publication