Monday, October 8, 2012

A holiday treat

I've had a lovely week off. Recreation means re-creation and a disengagement from the day to day grind is a necessary means of refreshment. I have had an orgy of old TV: I watched the Man from Uncle films: very formative on me when I was tiny, but rather corny in retrospect. Not a patch on The Avengers, the book on which arrived eventually. I've also discovered that the restoration is now complete and the last remaining radio series of the programme are now available here. They were broadcast in South Africa in the 1970s, were recorded by a man on a reel to reel tape recorder and from those only copies (not all of them survive) any copies of The Avengers on the radio come. They're mostly late stories, Tara King era, but recast to include my beloved Mrs Peel. Ages ago I bought a book about The Avengers in a charity shop. I had gone in with a female friend and the men behind the counter asked me, 'Which one did you fancy?' - obviously meaning which Avengers girl. So I said, 'Steed'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated before publication