Friday, October 19, 2012

What have the dogs seen?

The hounds of the Goddess come in all sorts!
When I was a child I was frightened of dogs. For no good reason other than that I'd not known one - we always had cats - I was certainly never attacked by one. Even after getting to know a dog that belonged to my aunt I wasn't what you'd call keen; I could take them or leave them, & the feeling was mutual.
However since Hecate took an interest in me during a difficult point in my life several years ago, this feeling has completely left me. It is strange me being a cat person yet being a priest of a Goddess associated with dogs, although cats were also sacrificed to her in the ancient world, something I've often told mine when he gets up on the altar! And it's mutual: dogs are all over me. Hecate loves gay men, and it often feels like a dog is especially attracted to me when it has a gorgeous bit of rough on the end of its lead, trying to maintain his cool!
Recently I came across a little book called Fortress of the Muslim [sic], which consists of what I can only describe as devotions for Moslems. Theologically they're very much what you would expect in a monotheist religion, but what caught my eye when I saw it in the charity shop was this passage:
'Invocation upon hearing a dog barking in the night.
'When you hear a dog barking or a donkey braying in the night, then seek refuge in Allah from them, for surely they have seen what you see not.'
Footnote: 'Abu Dawud 4/327, Ahmad 3/306. Al-Albani graded it authentic in Sahih Abu Dawud 3/961.'
(Fortress of the Muslim: Invocations from the Quran and Sunnah. Compiled by Said bin Wahf Al-Qahtani. Darussalam, Riyahd KSA, no date, p. 213.)
I am fascinated by this and if anyone can tell me what the dogs in particular are supposed to know, I would be very grateful.
------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated before publication