Friday, January 2, 2015

Hidden City: Underground Tunnel in Stirchley

Picture credit: via http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/78817-GKN-Stirchley-Tunnels-Birmingham-March-2013
I'm liking living - temporarily - in the Stirchley area of the city. It's a very Birmingham place, by which I mean it has the characteristic mix of all sorts of people, & doesn't show all its facets on a superficial glance. Driving through, you merely see another depressed mixed-industrial & residential area.
It is, however, one of the urban exploration centres of the city. Until restoration started the disused baths was a great favourite & there are several disused factories. I didn't know that the mighty GKN had a works here, & particularly didn't know there is a tunnel under the road! Of course I haven't been in: the former car breakers mentioned in the page above is sealed up closer than a straight man's y-fronts. Nonetheless I had to 'reblog' it here as a facet of the hidden city, a hidden city I just keep on discovering!

------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated before publication