Sunday, March 13, 2016

Quality Determined by Enemies

I was recently talking with a witch friend about a muggle friend, and trying to decide what sort of witch he would be. Forget any usual categories: my perception of the witch world was changed permanently the next day when I discovered a quote by Noel Coward about liking long walks when they are taken by people he doesn't like. And it hit me - our mutual friend was a Noel Coward witch!
But what celebrity witch would I be?  I toyed with the idea of Dame Hilda Bracket for a while,  simply because Peter Lorre seemed too obvious. But I'm delighted to announce that I now identity as a Bette Davis witch!  In fact it was the quote which illustrates this post which decided it - I don't personally have a problem with conflict,  seeing it as good and necessary to move situations on and prevent the kind of clinging to the status quo I mentioned in my last post. Naturally this gets one enemies and I don't have a problem with that either. When I look around at the people who hate me, my sole emotion is relief that I have avoided being like them. I watch their (frankly quite psychopathic) games and world view, and I know for a fact I am on the right track.
Davis also talks about the way the weak vampirise the strong,  which makes me want to holler 'Comrade'! And of course she had an ongoing feud with Joan Crawford. I don't feel obliged to love or like people myself, I also don't feel obliged to play happy families or reconcile with these people. However I do agree with Davis that you should only speak good of the dead. The way she phrased this was 'Joan Crawford is dead. Good. '

2 comments:

  1. I've just got back from a long walk. However, there was no one around when I left, so my departure can't have pleased anyone...

    I hope no one does actually outright hate you - even Zippy - but I know what you mean. Bette Davis' quote was a good find, even though I don't hold much truck with hatred myself. And her "speak good of the dead" phrase is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inexplicable, your psychic gifts remain perfect: I was just reading your blog when your comment appeared for moderation!
      Actually Bette Davis also said that you have never been a parent if you haven't been hated by your child. And the two emotions are remarkably closely linked, in fact one of my colleagues thinks Zippy's problem with me originates in her fancying me!

      Delete

All comments are moderated before publication